Happy Monday morning everyone! Is it just me, or does the weekend always end too quickly? I had a nice one, specifically because I got to spend Saturday catching up with my brother; he moves to Seattle next week! I also got to hit up the Hyde Park Farmers market and that always puts a smile on my face.
So these past few weeks, I’ve been making it a pretty permanent part of my workout routine to squeeze in some early morning runs before work. That’s right, I said early. When I run in the morning, I’ve gotta be moving by 5:15 or 5:30. Ridiculously early, I know. I used say that that waking up before 5:20 AM was too early and I wouldn’t do it. I also used to roll my eyes at the 5:00 AM runners I’d drive by on days I used to go in to work at 6:00 AM. Things change though, and these early runs have actually become my favorite thing. Here’s why:
- After I finish, it’s usually just after 6AM, and I feel BADASS because I’ve accomplished something awesome, while most people are still sleeping.
- It’s calm and quiet outside. I have most of the streets to myself and have time to just think and release any stress from my week.
- Because recently, I feel like I’m chasing the sun. I start around 5:15, and by the time I finish, the sun has completely risen. I get to see the world wake up right before my eyes.
- The sun rises early now so recently, there has been less of a need for my reflective gear. Three cheers for safety!
- Now that the sun has started rising earlier and the temps are warmer, all my fellow Hyde Park neighbors are joining me for runs. While I typically do my early AM runs solo, it’s fun and motivating to see so many other runners hitting the pavement at ridiculously early times.
- Weekend warriors! My fellow neighbors come out to run early on weekends too. Case and point? I had to work Saturday and ran at 5:45 am. SO MANY other runners were out. It was surprising to me that so many individuals in the area had such incredible motivation to get up and at it on a weekend morning. LOVE IT.
- Finally, who else feels like they can conquer the world after an early morning run? It sets a nice tone for the rest of the day.